A chapel in rural Normandy, with images of life in the 13th century
The chapel of Sainte-Marie-aux-Anglais was built in the late 12th
and early 13th centuries. It has changed very little
since then and it represents a perfect example of religious
architecture of the late Romanesque period.
Probably around 1240, the interior was covered with paintings of both religious and secular inspiration that show us the environment and the lives of people at that time. These murals were done by a local workshop which remains anonymous ; their simplicity and elegance still have the power to move us today.
Although "prestigious" monuments have often been maintained and preserved but with modifications, this was not the case for this rural chapel. It remains very close to what it was in the 13th century. In the middle of the 19th century the chapel started to deteriorate, but was saved by the intervention of the French Archaeological Society. It was classified as a Historic Monument in 1910, and since has been the subject of various partial restorations.
The movie about the chapel
A small voice from Middle Ages
An association for the conservation of the chapel
Le Mesnil-Mauger, now part of the municipality Mézidon Vallée
d'Auge, has a real gem in this chapel and we would like to ensure
its sustainability to transmit it to future generations. An
association has been created 'to
conserve the Chapel of Sainte-Marie-aux-Anglais' (in brief
C.C.S.M.A.). Its aim is to undertake whatever restoration work is
necessary on the chapel and its paintings under the supervision of a
senior architect from the Department of Historic Monuments.
The restored chapel will be open to visitors and will be able to
accommodate exhibitions and concerts.
Nothing can be achieved without the broad support of the people of Mézidon Vallée d'Auge and all those interested in local history. If you are one of these people, click on the ‘Help to Conserve’ tab to find out more about our Association and how to become a member !
Click here to
download the last newsletter of the association (in french
|News about the association
are published on its Facebook page.
Click on the "f" on the right !
You can send an e-mail to the Association by clicking here (or, if your browser does not allow it, send an e-mail message directly to : firstname.lastname@example.org).
The watercolour painting The chapel of Sainte-Marie-aux-Anglais at the time of its construction was kindly realized by Annick Kohn, member of the association and painting teacher in Villennes-sur-Seine.
Our association CCSMA received the Prix de la rédaction
Pèlerin awarded to the wall paintings of the
chapel, in the framework of the 2018 edition of
the grand Prix Pèlerin du patrimoine,
whose goal is to highlight french cultural and religious
One of two regional 2019 prices for Normandy of the contest « Les rubans du Patrimoine » was awarded to the city Mézidon Vallée d'Auge for the first phase of the restoration of the Chapel of Sainte-Marie-aux-Anglais. This price is incentive for the restoration of mural paintings !
The contest « Les rubans du Patrimoine » is organized, each year, by the "Fédération Française du Bâtiment" in partnership with the "Association des maires de France".