Objectives of the association
To build on the work of Arcisse de Caumont, Prosper Mérimée, Louis Regnier and several other local personalities to conserve this church, some of the residents of Mesnil-Mauger came together with the principal objective of conserving the magnificent medieval wall paintings.
They created an association under the Law of 1901 which in
partnership with the municipality, provides the best framework to
raise the necessary funding.
Its foundersThe four founding members are :
- Michel Foyer, who has already done much for the chapel,
- Vincent Juhel, an art historian, who called for the preservation of the Chapel on his website,
- Patrick Truffaut, who brings all of his experience while devoting himself fully to the Church of St. Maclou,
- Jacques Devos, seasonal resident since 1957 in Saint-Crespin, where he was a farmer for ten years.
At the General Meeting of 21 October 2017, some new committee members were elected. The Committee is as follows :
International Relations Advisor
Canada Relations Advisor
Paintings restoration Advisor
|Mr. Jacques Devos
Mr. Michel Foyer
Mr. Pascal Fournier
Ms. Chantal Pallard
Sir Peter Ricketts
Ms. Brigitte Bryant
Mr. Jean-Louis Le Saux
Mr. Michel Kohn
Mr. Vincent Juhel
||Ms. Roselyne Fouques
Mr. Dominique Hiblot
Mr. Louis Petit
The Bureau, elected to the Committee, is composed of nine members, whose functions are specified above.
Current actions and future activities
Restoration of the chapel
Since the chapel has been classified in 1910 as an "historical monument", the Association must comply with the rules of the Department of Cultural Affairs. A strict administrative procedure is to be followed, in name of the city of Mézidon Vallée d'Auge with the help of an expert of the Regional Office of Cultural Affairs. The general contractor must be a chief architect of Historic Monuments ; Mr. Benoit Maffre was chosen.
The "autorisation de travaux sur monument historique" which allows
works on historical monuments was notified by the prefect of
Calvados in June 2016. A request for proposals was launched in last
August ; 5 companies were then selected to undertake the
works. In November 2016, we are waiting for the notification of the
financial participation of the french Department of Cultural
Affairs. The fist phase of works started in March 2017, after the first site meeting
of all partners and chosen enterprises hold in the chapel on
February the 15th. Works were finished in May 2018.
The municipality of Mézidon Vallée d'Auge, which owns the chapel, acts as the contracting authority. The Association helps the municipality to fetch information, to establish contacts and to search for fundings.
The restoration of paintings could start when needed fundings will be gathered.
Visits can be again organized. You may inform us about you wish of visiting the chapel by mail (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Join the association !
The CCSMA association already has 150 members. We warmly welcome
Annual contributions (from early September to the end of August) have been fixed as follows :
- Active members: 10 €
- Benefactors: 60 €
Click here to download the membership form.